Skip to content Accessibility info

Food Truck Insurance

from Jared Reynolds Insurance

Food Truck Insurance

Food trucks are different from conventional restaurants because they travel from place to place serving food. Therefore, your food truck business needs insurance that covers this unique business model. What kinds of insurance should a food truck have?

  • Commercial auto coverage for the vehicle
  • Liability insurance, like all businesses
  • Special protection pertinent to restaurants

Food truck insurance was created for food trucks, lunch carts, ice cream vendors, concession trucks, and mobile caterers.

Commercial Auto Insurance

Commercial auto liability coverage is required for all vehicles used for business purposes. This protects you, your employees, and other drivers on the road.

In the state of Ohio, the minimum vehicle liability coverage you must carry is:

  • $25,000 for injury/death of one person
  • $50,000 for injury/death of two or more people
  • $25,000 for property damage in an accident

You can always carry more insurance — and we often recommend this for greater protection — but this is the least you should have. Liability insurance covers you if you or one of your workers is at fault in an accident.

We also encourage food truck owners to have collision and comprehensive insurance. This pays for repairs after an accident, plus it protects you in the event of theft, vandalism, or loss to a storm, fire, or natural disaster. If you financed your truck, this full coverage is probably required by the lender.

Liability Protection

Liability insurance is a smart move for all businesses. It covers you for things like accidents, injuries, and lawsuits resulting from your business operation.

For example, if people get sick from eating your food, liability insurance would cover their medical care, like a trip to the ER. Otherwise, you could be sued and suffer financial losses or even be put out of business. The reasonable cost of liability insurance makes it a no-brainer compared to the cost of potentially losing your income.

Other Types of Food Truck Insurance to Consider

Depending on how you operate your food truck, you may want to think about these other kinds of business insurance, many of which are similar to what restaurants use:

  • Property insurance for your equipment and cooking tools
  • Inventory insurance for your food (what if your refrigerator failed?)
  • Workers’ compensation, in case an employee is injured on the job
  • Cyber insurance, if you take credit cards or store customer data
  • Loss of income insurance, should you not be able to operate
  • Special event insurance, particularly if you serve alcohol
  • Commercial umbrella coverage for increased liability protection

Let Us Customize a Food Truck Insurance Policy for You

At Jared Reynolds Insurance, we’re independent agents with a large menu of commercial insurance products. We can tailor a policy just for your food truck, so you get the coverage you need. Request an insurance quote today and enjoy personalized service and knowledgeable assistance with your food truck coverage.